Visas and Work Permits in the Netherlands

Posted in Blog, Immigration, Visa, Work permits | Tagged , , , , ,

Finding a way to work in a new country, legally, can be a daunting task. Each permit has specific requirements, and while one is better for a particular case, it may not be the best option for you. Here we break down the most often used visas and residence permit in the Netherlands. For more information regarding these guidelines, we suggest getting in touch with the IND office.

Don’t forget to check out our FAQ section on this as well.

Tourist Visa for travel

Some countries require this visa before you visit the Netherlands. It restricts your travel time to 90 days within a 180 day period, and you are not allowed to work on this permit.

Student Visa for study

This permit is for international non-EU citizen students that wish to study in the Netherlands. It is valid until the graduation date of the student. You are permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours per week or for two months during the summer (June, July, and August).

A work permit is not required when doing an internship, however, as long as it is part of your education.

There are no restrictions for working for EU(Schengen zone)/EEA or Swiss students.

Search Year Visa & Permit

A search year Visa & Permit is specifically for non-EU students/citizens with a Masters or PhD level at one of the top 150 universities in the last three years. It is also referred to as the Orientation Year permit. It allows graduates to spend a year in the Netherlands looking for work and they may work on this temporary residence permit without hour restrictions until the permit is expired. Once employed, they must be under the Highly Skilled Migrant scheme, sponsored by their employer, and they have a lower salary requirement than the standard HSMs.

Business Visa & Permit

Non-EU members will need a business visa to work in the Netherlands for a maximum of 90 days. Those that apply for the tourist visa, with similar allowance days, will not be permitted to work with that permit.

Highly Skilled Migrant Visa & Permit

Many expats are currently on this permit that is a combination of a residence and work permit. There are some requirements you must meet before qualifying, including:

  • Skills and experience that are somewhat scarce in the EU
  • A high level of education (at least a bachelors degree)
  • Previous work experience
  • Sponsorship by the employee that holds a sponsorship status with the IND office
  • Salary requirement
  • TB test and MVV (non-tourist, entrance visa) is required for some countries

If you come over with a partner, they will also have a highly skilled migrant visa so they can work in the Netherlands without additional sponsorship.

Partner Visa & Permit

If you have a partner that is either of Dutch nationality or a member of the EU, you can obtain a residence/work permit with the partner as your sponsor. It sets the partner as your sponsor and allows you to work in the Netherlands freely. There are some documents required for this, including a check that you are currently married in your home country.

Get in contact with us if you or your company needs assistance with registering for work and resident permits or visa application while in the Netherlands!

Want to know more about our International Immigration service/ Consulting services, Read here