Visas and Work Permits in the Netherlands

Finding a way to work in a new country, legally, can be a daunting task. Each permit has specific requirements and while one is better for a specific case, it may not be the best option for you. Here we break down the most often used permits and visas in the Netherlands. For more information regarding these guidelines, we suggest getting in touch with the IND office.

Tourist Visa

This visa is required by some countries before you visit the Netherlands. It restricts your travel time to 90 days within a 180 day period and you are not allowed to work on this permit.

Student Visa 

This permit is for non-EU students that wish to come study in the Netherlands. It is valid until the graduation date of the student. You are permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours per week or for two months during the summer (June, July, and August).

A work permit is not required when doing an internship, however, as long as it is part of your education.

There are no restrictions for working for EU/EEA, or Swiss students.

Search Year Visa & Permit

This is a permit for non-EU students/citizens who have graduated with a Master’s or PhD level at one of the top 150 universities in the last 3 years. It is also referred to as the Orientation Year permit. This allows graduates to spend a year in the Netherlands looking for work and they may work on this permit without hour restrictions until the permit is expired. Once employed, they must be under the Highly Skilled Migrant scheme, sponsored by their employer, and they have a lower salary requirement than the standard HSMs.

Business Visa & Permit

Non-EU members will need a business visa in order to work in the Netherlands for a maximum of 90 days. Those that apply for the tourist visa, with similar allowance days, will not be permitted to work with that permit.

Highly Skilled Migrant Visa & Permit

Many expats are currently on this permit that is a combination of a residence and work permit. There are some requirements you must meet before qualifying including:

  • Skills and experience that are somewhat scarce in the EU
  • A high level of education (at least a bachelor’s degree)
  • Previous work experience
  • Sponsorship by the employee that holds a sponsorship status with the IND office
  • Salary requirement
  • TB test and MVV (non-tourist, entrance visa) is required for some countries

If you come over with a partner, they will also have the highly skilled migrant visa so they can work in the Netherlands without additional sponsorship.

Partner Visa & Permit

If you have a partner that is either Dutch or a member of the EU, you can obtain a residence/work permit with the partner as your sponsor. This sets the partner as your sponsor and allows you to work in the Netherlands freely. There are some documents required for this including a check that you are currently married in your home country.

Please get in contact with us if you or your company needs assistance with finding and/or registering for a work permit while in the Netherlands!

Want to know more about our International Immigration Consulting services, Read here

Global HR & Mobility Market Updates

The Latest News on Language Discrimination, Leave Entitlements and Brexit

– UK: Avoid Discrimination Based on Language Proficiency
– Parental Leave Entitlements Increased in Ireland
– A New Age of Leave Entitlements in Australia
– More than half of UK firms fear hit from post-Brexit immigration plan

Read More

Why Should Companies Engage with Millennials

Millennials is a generation born between 1981 and 1996. They are aspiring and fast learner. They want to feel valuable and they are willing to have a great influence on

Read More