Visa and Work Permits Netherlands

Finding methods to work in a different country, juridically, can be a difficult path. Each permit has specific terms & conditions, and while one is better for a particular case, it may not be the most suitable option for you. In this FAQ we break down the most frequently utilised permits and visas for the Netherlands. For more information regarding these guidelines, we suggest getting in touch with us or checking out the IND website.

Need assistance?
Give us a call or send us an email.

+31(0)20 405 4750 or send us an email info@executivemobility-group.com

Visa & work permits Netherlands​

Tourist Visa

This visa is required by some countries if you wish to visit the Netherlands. It restricts your travel time to maximum 90 days within a 180 day period and you are not allowed to work on this permit.

Search Year Visa & Permit

This permit is for non-EU scholars that wish to study in the Netherlands. It is valid until the graduation date of the student. You are allowed to work a maximum of 10 hours per week or during two months during the summer (June, July, and August).
As long as it is part of your education, a work permit is not needed when doing an internship.

For EU/EEA or Swiss scholars, there are no restrictions for working.

Golden Visa

In 2013 The Netherlands launched a “golden visa” for foreigners willing to invest € 1,25 million into a company in The Netherlands or in certain selected funds that themselves invest into Dutch companies.
Though, due to further aggravating requirements, over the last five years less than 12 Dutch “Golden Visas” have been issued proving this visa to be very uninteresting for foreigners who want to build a future in and are willing to invest extraordinary wealth into The Netherlands.

Business Visa & Permit

Non-EU members will need a business visa to operate in the Netherlands with a maximum of 90 days. Those that apply for the tourist visa, with similar allowance days, will not be allowed to work with that permit.

Highly Skilled Migrant Visa & Permit

Many high skilled expats are currently working through this permit which offers a combination of a residence and work permit. There are some requirements you must meet before you qualify, including:
– Skills and expertise that are moderately scarce in the EU
– A high level of education (at least a bachelor’s degree)
– Previous work experience
– Sponsorship by a company that holds a sponsorship status with the IND office
– Comply with the Salary requirement
– TB test and MVV (non-tourist, entrance visa) is mandatory for some countries

If you come over with a spouse, they will also have a highly skilled migrant visa so they can work in the Netherlands without further sponsorship.

Partner Visa & Permit

When you have a spouse that is either from the Netherlands or a member of the EU, you can receive a residence/work permit with the spouse as your sponsor. Setting the partner as your sponsor and allows you to work in the Netherlands freely. There are some records required for this, including a document that you are currently unmarried in your home country.

Can I work in the Netherlands without a visa?

Your residency status and nationality will dictate if you need a work permit. In the Netherlands, work and residence authorisation are closely linked. Your reasons for moving to the Netherlands – for example, as a highly-skilled worker, employee, student or family member – will determine what kind of authorisation you need to work in the Netherlands legally.

The Netherlands has one of the most globally focused, highly trained, motivated and multilingual workforces in the world. The demand for highly skilled workers is persistingly high. There are incentives for international employees such as a 30 per cent tax ruling and a fast-track highly skilled migrants program. There are various Dutch permits for receiving permission to work and live in the Netherlands, legally, the highly skilled migrant permit, intra-company transfer permit, orientation year permit for foreign graduates or the general work permit.

How can I get work permit in Netherlands?

For a stay of fewer than 90 days, your employer can apply for a short-term work permit for you, which can be used in combination with a Schengen visa or your passport.

For stays of more than 90 days, your employer will be able to apply for a single permit (gecombineerde vergunning voor verblijf en arbeid or GVVA) in your name, which combines the Dutch residence and work permit in one application via the IND.

Who need a working permit in the Netherlands

Citizens from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA – EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland do not need residence permits or work permits, except those from newer EU member Croatia, whose citizens need a Dutch work permit for their first year.

Citizens of Japan do not need work authorisation to work in the Netherlands. They are only required to obtain a residence permit for long-term stays.

The IND and Dutch work permits

All Dutch work permit applications are processed by the IND (Dutch department of Immigration and Naturalisation).
Applications lodged in the Netherlands can be directly submitted with the IND. Applications from abroad can either be submitted at the Dutch embassy in your country of residence or in case of a sponsor already residing in the Netherlands at the IND.

Need help with Visa or Work Permit?

Check out our Relocation Services, Read here
Call us at: +31(0)20 405 4750 or drop us an email at

Global HR & Mobility Market Updates

The Latest News on Canadian Visa Program, US Election and Covid-19

– Canadian visa program may lure tech workers blocked by Trump
– A top immigrant advocate on the US election
– COVID-19: Dutch State Secretary Extends Reporting Deadlines

Read More

The Latest News on COVID-19, Skill Gaps and American Workers

– COVID-19 has surfaced these skill gaps: now we need to fill them
– Employees Look to HR to Evaluate COVID-19 Data Before Reopening
– Judge Rules U.S. Companies Can Be Sued for Preferring U.S. Workers

Read More

Lockdown and Tax

Nowadays, in the COVID-19 crisis, many of us live in Lockdown or something very similar. In any way, we are restricted in our travel. Many want to leave their homes but cannot.

Read More

We offer innovative, smart & sustainable solutions for any global mobility challenge, at transparent (value) pricing.

Browse our website and our portfolio of services,
see why EMG is your global mobility partner of choice.

Looking forward to providing a moving experience,
Nino Nelissen – Founder of EMG